Sunday, January 24, 2010

My new project: Duvet cover

I have been searching for a new duvet cover for a while and have had no luck. I want red and must have red...there is no way around it! But finding a red duvet cover is not easy. I ordered one from Bed, Bath & Beyond but was so disappointed with the turned out to be burgundy so it's going back. Therefore, I have decided to make my own! I plan on buying red sheets (which I think will be a lot easier to find) and in the end my duvet will look a little something like this:

Nice hey? Of course it only comes in neutral colours and they don't ship to Canada. But I love this look! Adding texture like that to a solid colour makes it look so much less blah. Now I'm not so delusional that I think I can get it to look exactly like this but I've pulled out my sewing machine and practiced on a pillowcase. I have some red sheets from IKEA but they are queen and I will need king to allow for the gathering. I still have some tinkering to do but this is the general idea:

I know, some are different sizes and some need to be pulled tighter but I think with a little more practice I could do this. If not, I figure my mom or grandma can always bail me out and finish it! I'll keep you posted on my (and possibly their) progress!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! You impress me with your sewing skills each and every time you take on a project! Can't wait to see the finished product! :)